Mason Archival Repository Service

Browsing George Mason University 40th Anniversary Exhibition by Issue Date

Browsing George Mason University 40th Anniversary Exhibition by Issue Date

Sort by: Order: Results:

  • Saunders and Pearson, Architects; Anderson, Beckwith & Haible, Consulting Site Engineers; Holland Engineering; Paul L. Gerringer & Accociates; Fortune Engineering Associates (1960-08-01)
    In June 1959 UVa hired the architectural firm Joseph Saunders & Associates of Alexandria to produce a plan for the construction of George Mason College. The firm’s August 1960 report presented the entire concept of the ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-01)
    Classes began at the new University College in 1957 in a temporary building while a permanent site was being chosen. To satisfy this immediate need, an offer was made by the Fairfax County Schools to lease a recently-abandoned ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    In this film George Mason College Director, Robert Reid, is taking a group of citizens on a tour of the unfinished campus. The tour begins in the North Building (today's Finley Building) and continues around the exterior ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of the original George Mason College building from the south. This building was the former Bailey’s Crossroads School built in 1922. Parking for students, faculty, and staff was on this side of the building ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of the original George Mason College building from the north facing Columbia Pike (Route 244). This building had eight rooms. Note the modified sign, which previously read: University of Virginia University ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of a classroom in the Bailey’s Crossroads building. George Mason University Public Relations Photographs 1960 – 1972.
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of the Library in the Bailey’s Crossroads building. George Mason University Public Relations Photographs 1960 – 1972
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of Ravensworth Farm. The University of Virginia’s Board of Visitors rejected the offer of this property for fear of possible noise pollution from a planned nearby airport. This image was part of promotional ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of one of the buildings on the Ravensworth Farm property. A caption on the back of the original reads: “Romanesque Barn to be Converted for Classroom Use.” George Mason University Facilities Planning
  • Planned Community Archives, Nan Netherton Papers Special Collections & Archives, University Libraries (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of A. Smith Bowman, Jr. (standing) and E. DeLong Bowman (seated in foreground). The Bowman brothers, executives of the A. Smith Bowman Distillery, made two offers of land and money (in 1954 and 1957) to UVa ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of Director J.N.G. Finley and some of the key persons from Town of Fairfax who, at the last minute, helped acquire the Farr property in 1958, securing a permanent home for George Mason University. This sign was ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Detail from aerial photograph of the Farr tract and its surroundings. Route 123 can be seen at left. Braddock Road (Route 620) at bottom. The initial buildings of George Mason College’s Fairfax Campus were built in the ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photostatic reproduction of first page of title deed to original 150 acres. George Mason University Facilities Planning
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Architectural drawings of Building A (today’s Finley Building) from the 1960 George Mason College Master Plan showing north, south, and east elevations by Saunders and Pearson Architects, Alexandria, Virginia, August 1960. ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Floor plans for Buildings A-E from 1960 George Mason College Master Plan by Saunders and Pearson Architects, Alexandria, Virginia, August 1960. This drawing details planned space use on the first floor in each building ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Architect’s rendering of George Mason College’s original four buildings and proposed Lecture Hall from 1960 George Mason College Master Plan by Saunders and Pearson Architects, Alexandria, Virginia, August 1960. George ...
  • Darden, Colgate W. (Colgate Whitehead), 1897-1981 (2005-04-13)
    Letter from University of Virginia President, Colgate W. Darden, Jr., to J.N.G. Finley, Director of Northern Virginia Center (and University College). This letter, in which Darden thanks Finley for mailing him a news ...
  • U.S. Government Printing Office (USGPO) (2005-04-13)
    Detail from the Map of N. Eastern Virginia and Vicinity of Washington compiled in Topographical Engineers Office at Division Head Quarters Of General Irvin McDowell Arlington, January 1st 1862 showing the Farr property as ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    Architect’s rendering of view of “The Court” (the space in the center of the buildings) from the vantage point of the west entrance of Building B, today’s Krug Hall. From the 1960 George Mason College Master Plan by ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    Photograph of groundbreaking ceremony for George Mason College. State Senator Charles R. Fenwick turns the first shovelful of earth on forty of the original 150 acres. Joining him (from left to right) are Fairfax Mayor ...

Search MARS


Browse

My Account