Mason Archival Repository Service

Browsing George Mason University 40th Anniversary Exhibition by Title

Browsing George Mason University 40th Anniversary Exhibition by Title

Sort by: Order: Results:

  • Planned Community Archives, Nan Netherton Papers Special Collections & Archives, University Libraries (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of A. Smith Bowman, Jr. (standing) and E. DeLong Bowman (seated in foreground). The Bowman brothers, executives of the A. Smith Bowman Distillery, made two offers of land and money (in 1954 and 1957) to UVa ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-20)
    Advertisement by local defense contractor Melpar, Inc., welcoming George Mason College to Fairfax. This advertisement was placed in the “Special Dedication Issue” of the local Fairfax Sun Echo newspaper. Note illustration ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-20)
    Aerial photograph taken from the southwest showing the newly-completed George Mason College Fairfax Campus. Note that only forty acres were cleared to construct the first stage of the campus, while the remainder of the ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-20)
    Close-in aerial photograph taken from the northeast showing the completed George Mason College Fairfax Campus. Note that many of the features of the original buildings and their surroundings, such as the unique triangular ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Detail from aerial photograph of the Farr tract and its surroundings. Route 123 can be seen at left. Braddock Road (Route 620) at bottom. The initial buildings of George Mason College’s Fairfax Campus were built in the ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    Photograph depicting construction of Building C (now known as West Building) taken from the vantage point of today’s George Mason Boulevard. The roofline of what is now Finley Building can be seen at left. George Mason ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of a classroom in the Bailey’s Crossroads building. George Mason University Public Relations Photographs 1960 – 1972.
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    This sign was erected by construction contractor, Eugene Simpson and Brother, Inc., at the southern terminus of the former Mechanic Street. This area is now the 90-degree right turn of University Drive as it makes its way ...
  • U.S. Government Printing Office (USGPO) (2005-04-13)
    Detail from the Map of N. Eastern Virginia and Vicinity of Washington compiled in Topographical Engineers Office at Division Head Quarters Of General Irvin McDowell Arlington, January 1st 1862 showing the Farr property as ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Architectural drawings of Building A (today’s Finley Building) from the 1960 George Mason College Master Plan showing north, south, and east elevations by Saunders and Pearson Architects, Alexandria, Virginia, August 1960. ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    This photograph taken at groundbreaking ceremony shows Robert Reid (second from left, who assumed directorship of GMC in November of 1964) Director, J.N.G. Finley, a construction foreman, and college building superintendent, ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    Architect’s rendering of view of “The Court” (the space in the center of the buildings) from the vantage point of the west entrance of Building B, today’s Krug Hall. From the 1960 George Mason College Master Plan by ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-01)
    Classes began at the new University College in 1957 in a temporary building while a permanent site was being chosen. To satisfy this immediate need, an offer was made by the Fairfax County Schools to lease a recently-abandoned ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    In this film George Mason College Director, Robert Reid, is taking a group of citizens on a tour of the unfinished campus. The tour begins in the North Building (today's Finley Building) and continues around the exterior ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Floor plans for Buildings A-E from 1960 George Mason College Master Plan by Saunders and Pearson Architects, Alexandria, Virginia, August 1960. This drawing details planned space use on the first floor in each building ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of the original George Mason College building from the north facing Columbia Pike (Route 244). This building had eight rooms. Note the modified sign, which previously read: University of Virginia University ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of the original George Mason College building from the south. This building was the former Bailey’s Crossroads School built in 1922. Parking for students, faculty, and staff was on this side of the building ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    Virginia Governor Albertis Harrison, Jr. addresses attendees to the George Mason College Dedication. George Mason University Public Relations Photographs
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-13)
    Photograph of groundbreaking ceremony for George Mason College. State Senator Charles R. Fenwick turns the first shovelful of earth on forty of the original 150 acres. Joining him (from left to right) are Fairfax Mayor ...
  • GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives (2005-04-06)
    Photograph of one of the buildings on the Ravensworth Farm property. A caption on the back of the original reads: “Romanesque Barn to be Converted for Classroom Use.” George Mason University Facilities Planning

Search MARS


Browse

My Account