Sign Raising, George Mason College, May 1962




GMU Archives Special Collections & Archives

Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title



Photograph of Director J.N.G. Finley and some of the key persons from Town of Fairfax who, at the last minute, helped acquire the Farr property in 1958, securing a permanent home for George Mason University. This sign was erected on the northwest side of the property facing Route 123. It reads: GEORGE MASON COLLEGE of the UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA On February 10, 1959 This Tract of 150 Acres Was Given by the Citizens of the Town of Fairfax To the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia As a Permanent Site of the College From left to right: Stacy Sherwood (Fairfax Town Council), Daniel Harrison, Roland Clarke (Fairfax Town Council), Fairfax Mayor John C. Wood, J.N.G. Finley, George Hamill, and Dr. Fred Everly (Fairfax Town Council). George Mason University Public Relations Photographs 1960 – 1972


Photograph: Black and White 8" x 10" (20.32 cm x 25.4)


George Mason College, George Mason University - Fairfax campus, Sherwood, Stacy, Harrison, Daniel, Clarke, Roland, Wood, John C., Finley, John Norville Gibson, Hamill, George, Everly, Fred